I have been using an old workmate as my ATC workstation, it didn’t look very professorial when the customers came to my workshop. So I decides to make a tall corner cabinet, the countertop is 44″ off the ground (I prefer to stand and operate the CNC) it has one large door with my CNC computer and an amplifier for my music (got to have music in the shop). There is one large drawer for router bits etc and one small drawer for my pencils. I used Aspire software to cut the plywood panels, the faceframe and side panels were done on my router table. The material is popular and stained oak the panels are 1/4″ Jatoba, there were all off cuts from prior jobs.
Well for some people Friday 13th is unlucky, well for me it was a fantastic day because my new 508 ATC + Recoil arrived. I still have to hook up the 60 Amp power cable and the compressor but here are a few pictures.
The quality of the machine is fantastic, thank you CAMaster
Well it’s been about 18 months I have been using my Stinger on a temporary table with extensions cords. Well I finally finished the table today.
The base is made from 4″ x 4″ with 2″ x 8″ stretchers upper and lower, then I used 3/4″ MDF to cover the whole base. I built a ledge on the front to store the control box, with easy access to both sides for the main switch and the touch plate. There are two black doors on the Left hand side to give access to the computer along with lots of storage.
I pocketed the table top for my router bits and I also pocketed the feet of the Stinger so it would not slide on the top. I wanted to make a sturdy table because the weight of the machine and also I didn’t want the table to rack during operation of the machine. The hardest part was painting the letters, I first painted the letters black then using a random orbital sander I cleaned up the overspray on the MDF. I then used a sponge roller and painted the yellow.
The finished size is 39 1/2″ wide, 64″ long and 26 3/4″ to the top of the table. All the work was done in Aspire on my Cobra X3, the CAMaster text is pocketed 1/8″ deep. I ran 2 dedicated 110V through conduit, to lazy to remove the Sheetrock)
I installed a laser to the lower router plate but never posted any pictures, the laser is operated through WinCNC, I position the laser on the corner of my work piece then click on Laser X0Y0 this creates the home position were the laser was.
This project is a deer carved in a dish with a forest background. The design is from Vectric Wild life DVD.
Material is African mahogany 15/16″ thick, 11 1/4″ wide by 16 3/4 high.
I V-Carved my name on the back using a 22 degree v-carve bit, the label is 4″ wide by 4″ high.
Roughing toolpath was done was a 1/4″ end mill – 150 ins/min machining time: 1 hours 25 minutes.
Finishing toolpath was done with 1/8″ taper ball nose – 150 ins/min machining time: 1 hours 50 minutes.
V-Carving 15 minutes
Here is my latest project, it’s a 3D carving for above a door. The design is from Vectric Wild life DVD.
Material is African mahogany 1 1/8″ thick, 34″ long x 10″ high, the 3D carving is 32″ long x 8″ high.
Roughing toolpath was done was a 1/4″ end mill – machining time: 2 hours.
Finishing Toolpath was done with 1/8″ taper ball nose – machining time – 4 hours 10 minutes.
Total machine time was 6 hours 10 minutes.
At present there is no finish applied and I am thinking of doing a glaze finish. see glazing finish tutorial by Tim Merrill Here
– I used Bubinga wood for the main project also known as African Rosewood, Essingang, Buvenga.
– 1/4″ dowels from the local craft store.
– 3 feet from the local craft store.
– Krylon Metallic Brilliant Gold spray paint – for the dowels and feet
– Krylon Metallic Brilliant Red spray paint
The only finish I did was 2 coats of shellac on the Bubinga.
Total machine time was around 4 hours, 3 router bits were use.
1) 1/4″ end mill (roughing),
2) 1/8″ ball nose (finishing),
3) 1/4″ end mill (cut out)
I hired a flat bed tow truck to pick up the Cobra from the transport depot. At the depot they loaded the machine onto the flat bed using a fork lift
During the unloading process we found out that it was better to remove the side and top off the crate, Drive driver maneuvered the flat bed in front of my workshop, tilted the truck bed up and nothing happened, we hoked up the cable winch and slowly pulled the machine down the truck bed.
The machine was 3/4 into my workshop and off the flat bed, so I paid the driver and off he went. I installed casters on the legs of the table that were in my shop and using the old roman method, we slowly moved the machine, inch by inch into the workshop.
The whole process took 4 hours from the time at the depot to closing my workshop door. We then spent 3 more hours cutting up the crate and loading it into my pickup.